There are many amazing sights in Bulgaria, and if you don’t want to spend your entire holiday on the beach, it’s easy to find something interesting in the country.
The only difficulty – getting to most places of interest, ancient monasteries or cities by public transport is not convenient. It does not go to most places of interest at all. You can only get to the nearest resort, and then pay for a taxi (one-way trip will cost more than renting a car for the whole day) or walk 7-15 km.
Buses run between the main tourist cities, it’s quite convenient to travel by bus along the coast. But only 1-2 buses per day are sent inland. The schedule is not convenient. So, for sure you should spend the night in the hotel to see some sightseeing.
Excursions in Bulgaria are unreasonably expensive. The simplest routes along the coast will cost 80 lev per person. Interesting trips to the interior of the country for the whole day – from 110 leva.
I would like to say that these excursions are interesting and of high quality, but neither our experience nor the feedback from friends and acquaintances confirm this. It is more reasonable for the price of one excursion to rent a car and travel around the country with friends for several days.
Briefly about renting a car in Bulgaria
1. It is best to rent a car in Bulgaria with companies, which has positive feedbacks in Google. In such case you fill find good, proven service with the lowest prices.
2. It is more profitable to take a car for a long time than for 1-2 days. The price per day will be much lower. Also, do not choose the cheapest car, it can have expensive insurance and extra services. Before you book, compare several options.
3. To rent a car is enough any driver’s license. You must be 22 years old, and the driving experience – at least 2 years. IDP (international law), most distributors do not require.
4. We advise you to rent a car immediately after purchasing the tickets. So the choice will be more. Given that the first to dismantle the cheapest or best price / quality options, pay less.
5. If you decide to take a car from international distributors, very carefully read the contract before making a prepayment. Their conditions are quite strict, and the deposits are large.
What documents are needed to rent a car in Bulgaria?
- Driving license of any country. An international driver’s license is not necessary.
- Driver’s age at least 22 years.
- Driving experience at least 2 years.
- International passport. You must have it with you at the time of receiving the car.
- Credit/Debit card or cash to pay for a car and make a deposit.